Friday, October 12, 2012

On Granny Smith's knuckles

I bottled Evie's Special Bitter last night. Of the 5 batches we've brewed so far, this was the one with the smoothest brewing process, and the least likely chance of major fuck-ups.

Luke was stuck at work, so I had my brother helping me out. But something wasn't right. As we got to the last of the bottles, with just a few hundred milliliters of beer left in the fermenter, I stuck my nose in there and was overcome by a smell of green apples. It was like being punched in the face with a sack full of Granny Smiths. Here's the SMS conversation with Luke once we were all done.

"Mate, I think the ESB is fucked. Has a distinct green apple smell. Fark."

"What! That's disappointing. Where did we go wrong? Disinfecting I guess, but not like we did anything significantly different."

"Wait, all might not be lost. Doing some reading now, and it might just need a long time to condition in the bottle. Fingers crossed."

"Oh, that's a little more positive! Bring on the green apple!"

"Oh man, I fucken love green apples!"

"That's the ticket big fella! Just means we have to wait and have it when the weather is hotter. Perfect."

Always look on the bright side folks.

With the ESB now bottled, we've currently got a Pale Ale, Bec's Amber Ale, and now Evie's Special Bitter all bottled and conditioning. A few more weeks, and we can crack open our first real batch of home brew (I'm not counting the first kit beer, because, well, it was a kit wasn't it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment